Tuesday, July 25, 2006

P0401 engine code for 99 Honda Accord


Engine code question:

I just joined ATS and using my scanner, I got a P0401 code on my 1999 Honda Accord V6 engine which is for insufficient egr flow. How do I proceed to repair this code?

Engine code answer:

This problem is common on this type of engines. The egr valve on this does not usually go but the passages get easily clogged with carbon which need to be cleaned. You don't even have to do anything on this because Honda has a recall on this job. All you do is call your local dealer and give them the serial number of your car and they will fix it free for you. This is covered under Honda emission warranty.

In case there is no warranty, let ATS know and we will send you the step by step info on how to clean the passages.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennie said...

where did you get your recall information on this? I have this same vehicle and have only seen exterior lighting and ignition switch recalls. Now I've got this P0401 code and would love to get free work done to fix it, but I can't confirm the recall you mention. Can you point me to anything on the net about it?

1:40 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

Hi Jennie,

I have seen this Honda warranty info in an automotive service association
but you have to be a member like me to access it. Besides, membership
is limited to automotive tradesmen. I can look up the Service Bulletin
on it and get back to you tomorrow. Also, if you are a ATS member, I can
give you the step by step procedure so you can do it yourself.

Thanks!

Rich

2:34 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

gotcha - I was looking at autobytel's site for the 13 recalls, and nothing mentioned emissions.

Any guidance you can provide would be excellent.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

Morning Jennie,

I browsed thru some of the recalls and the egr repairs and it seems
to fall under P0172 codes and I did not see any P0401 codes.
What I would do if I were you is call your local Honda dealer
and give them your serial (VIN) number so they can confirm the
recall. As for servicing the egr passages, try getting a vacuum
diagram to assist you in cleaning the egr passages.(the vacuum diagram
is availble for ATS members only). You can search it on the 'net'
and hopefully, you get it for free.

Thanks!

Rich

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home