Friday, October 13, 2006

Starter not working intermittently for 1998 Toyota 4Runner: No codes



Question:

These last few days my starter does not work all the time. When I first started it, all I hear is the clicking sound. After a few attempts on the ignition key, it would start and be OK the rest of the day. My battery is new and I am thinking of replacing the starter but it is expensive and I want to know if I have a cheaper alternative?

ATS Advisor:

As a matter of fact, you have a cheaper choice in repairing your starter. Most of this problem comes from worn solenoid contacts inside the starter. Instead of buying the whole starter assembly, you can buy the contact from Toyota or any electrical automotive parts store. It cost roughly under $20 and you might even get away of not removing the old starter. The labor flat rate for this is approximately 3 hours and you should be able to this in one weekend without breaking a sweat.

ATS Tip:

For wiring diagram for the starting circuit including the complete details in fixing your starter contacts, please email ATS.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same problem. I haven't had it looked at yet but after I went through a carwash with an under carrage spray it went away. That might reinforce the worn/dirty contacts.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home